Monday, March 20, 2006

Civil War

It is only a matter of time before the unrest in Iraq is called a civil war.

I predict it will take on the label of civil war after the elections. Then, suddenly, the Republicans (who will gain seats in both houses) will rediscover their (selectively) isolationist roots and use the Prime Directive to say we should let "them" fight their own civil war. (If I'm wrong, and the Republicans lose either house, then they'll criticize the Dems for not financing the war properly or berate them for some other perceived injustice. In response the Dems will flop around spinelessly.)

In a sad bit of foresight, I asked my pre-invasion roommate at Yale, "What's the plan going to be after we kick Sadaam's ass?"

He didn't know (despite the PhD in Biochemistry.) Apparently, neither did the administration.

I asked, "What about Afghanistan? Won't we be stretching ourselves too thin to adequately rebuild that country?"

I asked, "What about North Korea? They already have nuclear weapons! Shouldn't we figure out a strategy for dealing with them first before we commit troops to Iraq?"

And then the sad attack of ESP:I asked, "How do you expect to hold Iraq together? The Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds don't exactly want to live together."

My then roommate told me I was arrogant.

I guess he would have said, "Support the Troops" but that silencer of dissent hadn't been coined yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ranger said...

So wonderful. I love "silencer of dissent." And what Britain created out of its imagination let no man tear asunder.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home